Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Exile.

Growing up in Seattle, my family had a GORGEOUS backyard. Close to the house we had an awesome swing set and sand box that my father built and painted blue (per my request). The real gem of the property though, was the huge ravine beyond. We're talking true nature here people...it was a freaking forest with a creek at the bottom.

The extent of my ravine experience was limited to making up stories about being chased by horrible villains on the hike down to the bottom and then scaring myself enough that I had to bust ass back up to be in view of the house where I felt safe again (weirdo kiddo).

At least, this was the extent...until my mother came up with new 'family' protocol. One fine Spring day Mom announced that Daniel and I would be spending at least an hour outside, every afternoon, for the rest of summer vacation, starting right that minute. Daniel was thrilled and headed right out. I, on the other hand, was PISSED. I tried ignoring her...I tried mouthing off (which was a REALLY stupid idea. I believe the hour turned into an hour and a half...)...I tried pouting, pleading and begging. I may have tried to convince her to let me call my Dad. I got sent out anyway, and both the front and back door were locked behind me.

I gave in, but not for long. After awhile I convinced Daniel to help me yell loud enough that Mom would hear us from inside the house (what can I say, I've always been good at getting people to jump onboard my missions...). She came out on the deck (two stories up from where we were) demanding to know what we were screaming about. I couldn't think of anything except to say I was dying of hunger.

What happened next never fails to amaze me. It shut me up then, and it would shut me up now. My mother walked back into the house and a few minutes later emerged with a bucket. The big industrial paint sized bucket. We watched her fill it with some food and water, tie one side of a rope to the bucket handle and tie the other side to one of the deck posts.

She then proceeded to lower the bucket from the deck to the backyard, presenting us with a full spread of nutritious food. I kid you not. My mother exiled us. She exiled us for a few hours every afternoon for an entire summer.

I was dumbfounded. I kind of still am...15 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment