(<-My actual sled marks. Proof I touched nature.)I've never lived anywhere that got a substantial amount of snow. Well...my brief time in Minnesota included massive amounts, but I was too small to remember. Let me reiterate, I've never lived anywhere that got legitimate amounts of snow that I had to deal with.
Enter New York. Now, I know that there are many other places that have gotten hit way harder by Snowpocalypse than we have (in fact, it's been really unimpressive mother nature) but the bottom line is, this is my first winter here and admittedly, the first time I've ever been forced to "face the elements."
I don't own snow boots. I own rain boots, but I've worn them so long that they actually leak (water+freezing temperatures+toes=really unhappy girl). I recently learned about the concept of layering for survival rather than style. Nine times out of ten I forget my hat. For some reason, when I check the weather in the morning and it says: 20, feels like 12, this doesn't register as a problem. But it is. I had my first experience where my face was so cold I actually had tears running down my cheeks, and I wasn't sad or angry about anything! That was two months ago...I had no idea that could really happen. I'm not an idiot, I just don't have a concept of COLD. Or snow.
Which brings me to today. Today I went sledding, with three ten-year-olds. Straightforward enough, right? Wrong. I chose to wear leggings, a dress and boots with a nice two inch heel to work. There is nothing worse than sludging through slippery slush, trying to keep up with triplet ten-year-olds and then SLEDDING in heels.
Let's hope tomorrow I can make a better wardrobe choice, because apparently it was 'totally awesome' that I participated in the 'snow day fun' and those kiddos 'cannot wait to do it again tomorrow.'
Le sigh. Mach schnell, Spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment