Since graduating, moving and semi-establishing myself here in New York (which really means making sure everyone who works at my 'frequented' establishments knows me on a first-name basis) I've often pondered and stressed about my life as an adult. What exactly is it that defines the crossover from college student to real-life person? When do I decide I've completed my metamorphosis?...graduating from college simply didn't do it for me.
I've lived here now for nearly eight months. I still don't have a full time job, let alone one that is permanent. That (at one time) was one of my defining characteristics of reaching adulthood. Having health insurance honored without a plethora of confused looks and questions is another thing that a) I don't have and b) marks the transition to being a 'real person.' Finally...I've always tried to kid (haha) myself that by the time one makes the choice to procreate, he or she would already be an adult, or take the necessary steps to become one pretty damn fast. Defining factor number three. The more I thought about my place in life, the worse I felt about myself. I mean, I'm starting to feel REALLY down, here. I don't have two of the things that equate adult status. I don't want the third. I DO want to be a grown up.
So I started thinking about what I do have. I work (on an on-call basis). I have a lease on a tiny apartment. I have bills that come to me and demand to be paid.
Life is starting to look up! I'm not so far behind!
And then it hit me.
I have an electrician. I have an electrician, therefore I have reached adulthood.
Never mind the days I feel like being childish, eating cupcakes til I'm clutching my belly and wishing I were dead. Forget the days I revert back to my teenage angst and wish (keyword: wish) I could scream, "I'M IN MY TWENTIES I DON'T HAVE TO CARE ABOUT ANYTHING."
If and when my Super decides not to answer my call in a timely manner, or fails to actually FIX a problem of an electrical nature (he's nice, but this is NYC), I have someone to call. An electrician. MY electrician. I guess I've really made it now. ;)
No, you definitely don't want #3...not in Manhattan, at least!
ReplyDelete